Problems with close, mouse minimize, and context menus

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about ShellEnhancer that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Problems with close, mouse minimize, and context menus

Postby iSleipnir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:51 am

First I want to say that SE is a great program. It is able to do things that i had to use 3 or 4 separete programs to do. With that said, Having a few problems.

I'm running SE with the following options:
==========================
Minimize to tray
Transparency (with only reduce flickering selected, no fading, taskbars, menus or anything)
Start ShellEnhancer at Windows logon
Left click on tray icon shows settings
Always use XP-style menus

Everything else is diabled (I think)
Also I should note I am running a custom windows theme. That is a custom MSstyle .theme file.

So here are the 3 problems:
================
When I SE the close button, the x, dissapears from all my windows. I can close them with a mouse shortcut or alt-f4 but I can't by clicking the x. It is gone. Click in the place where the x should be also does nothing.

I have a multi button mouse and one button is set to minmize a program. This is set up through logitech. On some programs, I am unable to minimize them with with the shortcut. They only minimize if I click on the button on the title bar.

If I right click on my task bar on any open folder/program/whatever I have a blank space in the context menu. For each time I right click on that program, It adds another "move to other monitior button so I end up having a context menu that looks something like
move
resize
minimize
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
maximize to desktop

If I remove the 'maximize to desktop' from the context menu (it is an option added to the context menu by a program called ultramon), each time I right click the context menu, I lose one item. So I get
one right click
Move
Size
Maximize
Minimize
-----------
Close

two right clicks
Move
Size
Maximize
Minimize

three right clicks
Move
Size
Maximize

etc, until there is nothing left.
iSleipnir

Re: Problems with close, mouse minimize, and context menus

Postby Marc G » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:46 am

iSleipnir wrote:When I SE the close button, the x, dissapears from all my windows. I can close them with a mouse shortcut or alt-f4 but I can't by clicking the x. It is gone. Click in the place where the x should be also does nothing.

Can you try this with a standard theme? If it is solved with the standard theme, please give me the name + website where to get this custom theme you are using.

iSleipnir wrote:I have a multi button mouse and one button is set to minmize a program. This is set up through logitech. On some programs, I am unable to minimize them with with the shortcut. They only minimize if I click on the button on the title bar.

This is strange... if you close SE the logitech shortcut works all the time? Did you configure SE to use that same button for something? Maybe it is configured for Mouse Gestures in SE. If so, try to configure another mouse button for the gestures.

iSleipnir wrote:If I right click on my task bar on any open folder/program/whatever I have a blank space in the context menu. For each time I right click on that program, It adds another "move to other monitior button so I end up having a context menu that looks something like
move
resize
minimize
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
maximize to desktop

If I remove the 'maximize to desktop' from the context menu (it is an option added to the context menu by a program called ultramon), each time I right click the context menu, I lose one item. So I get
one right click
Move
Size
Maximize
Minimize
-----------
Close

two right clicks
Move
Size
Maximize
Minimize

three right clicks
Move
Size
Maximize

etc, until there is nothing left.

Is this issue solved when you disable the option "Add menu items to the system/window menu of each window" in SE?
What is the value of the "Change order of extra system/window menu items" setting in SE?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby iSleipnir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Well here is what I found:

If I switch back to the standard windows theme, the x is there but it is greyed out so that I can't click it. I think this is the same thing happening in the other skin--it just displays it differently so switching skins doesn't fix the problem.

For the minimize issue, I'm sure I didn't map anything to any key on my mouse. I tried mapping minimize to a different key through the logitech program (setipoint) and It still didn't work so I don't think it's an issue with key mapping overlaps.

The option: "Add menu items to the system/window menu of each window" is disabled but for some reason, it's interfereing with the context menu on the taskbar only--not in any other context menu's. Weird.
The value "Change order of extra system/window menu items" is "Tabcdefghi"

I'm going to toy with it more tomorrow. If I find anything I'll post it.
iSleipnir

Postby iSleipnir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:32 am

Ok, more on minimizing...
I started closing programs to see if anything was interfereing with SE but found nothing. BUT, All programs will minimize when first start them and then stop minimizing by mouse button after I minimize them twice... I don't know what this means.

Also, I tried using SE to create a Hot Key Task for minimize. I set minimize to ctrl+shift+a and then set my mouse button to the same keystroke and it still doesn't work! So much for that work around
iSleipnir

Postby Marc G » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:58 pm

iSleipnir wrote:If I switch back to the standard windows theme, the x is there but it is greyed out so that I can't click it. I think this is the same thing happening in the other skin--it just displays it differently so switching skins doesn't fix the problem.

Ah, if it's greyed out then it is caused because you are somehow losing items in the context menu of your windows and when the "close" is removed from that menu, the X is greyed out.

iSleipnir wrote:The option: "Add menu items to the system/window menu of each window" is disabled but for some reason, it's interfereing with the context menu on the taskbar only--not in any other context menu's. Weird.

Can you try to enable that setting, just to see the behavior?

iSleipnir wrote:Also, I tried using SE to create a Hot Key Task for minimize. I set minimize to ctrl+shift+a and then set my mouse button to the same keystroke and it still doesn't work! So much for that work around

Is this also happening with the standard Windows theme?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby iSleipnir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Marc G wrote:
iSleipnir wrote:The option: "Add menu items to the system/window menu of each window" is disabled but for some reason, it's interfereing with the context menu on the taskbar only--not in any other context menu's. Weird.

That seemed to have fixed everything! What the?? Minimize works, the close button is back and I'm not getting or losing items in my taskbar context menu each time I right click...only now I have all these extra items in my context menu I don't want. Is there a way to fix this? I really love this program. Thank you for such fast support, it's the best I've got on any forum, and I've used more than a few.
iSleipnir

Postby Johan G » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:51 pm

iSleipnir wrote:
Marc G wrote:

That seemed to have fixed everything! What the?? Minimize works, the close button is back and I'm not getting or losing items in my taskbar context menu each time I right click...only now I have all these extra items in my context menu I don't want. Is there a way to fix this? I really love this program. Thank you for such fast support, it's the best I've got on any forum, and I've used more than a few.

You can go to the settings -> "Change order of extra system/window menu items" -> There click the "Reorder"-button.
A new window should appear in which you can select which items you want to see and which you don't want to see. What you'd want to do is select each of the items in the "Selected menuitems"-list and move them to the "Available menuitems"-list by clicking the arrow pointing left.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Johan.
Johan G

Postby iSleipnir » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Great work around! Thanks so much. I think I'll be able to convert a friend now too. Thanks again,
-Nick
iSleipnir

Return to SE - General