question about feature

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about FileEngineer that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

question about feature

Postby kossak » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:57 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a mass file renamer that allows me to rename a bunch of files with a filename length restriction.

For instance, can I use this program to change a lot of mp3 to filenames less than 43 characters in length?

Cheers, and congratulations for shell enhancer. I'm using it and it rules.
kossak

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:44 am

You can automatically rename your files to something like "My mp3 0001.mp3" "My mp3 0002.mp3" ...
Is that what you want or do you want to somehow truncate the existing filenames to a maximum of 43 characters and all filenames are different?
If it's the latter, that's currently not possible, but I can add it to the todo list.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby kossak » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:38 pm

If it's the latter, that's currently not possible, but I can add it to the todo list.

Its the latter. My idea would be something similar to format strings, like scanf() and printf().

For instance. I have the filename "Joe Satriani - Joe Satriani - 04 - Luminous Flesh Giants.mp3", then I parse it with a format string like "%a %b - Joe Satriani - ?? - %c.mp3" and then the final name "%b - %c.mp3" Would result into something like "Satriani - Luminous Flesh Giants.mp3".

Or if thats too painful to implement, do something simple like having delimiters on string format filename %F, like %F"20". That would truncate the filename to 20 characters. This would probably be the most simple and correct thing to do.

Cheers,
kossak
Last edited by kossak on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kossak

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:53 pm

That's a nice suggestion.
I've added it to the todo list.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to FE - General