Shell Enhancer causes close (X) buttons to be grayed out

Here you can report bugs you may find in ShellEnhancer.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Shell Enhancer causes close (X) buttons to be grayed out

Postby mbrazil » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been using Shell Enhancer with Windows XP for quite awhile without having this problem, but then it started to show up first on just one app (Secunia PSI) and then also on Outlook Express, and now it seems to be spreading to other apps, in fact most if not all other apps. The close button (the X button in the upper-right corner of the application windows) is grayed out and does not work. Also, in some apps, the minimize button (-) and the maximize button don't work either. The minimize and maximize buttons aren't grayed out, and they are animated when you click on them, but they have no effect.

These problems with the window buttons are consistent and repeatable whenever Shell Enhancer is running, and the button problems always go away when I close Shell Enhancer. I made no changes to the Shell Enhancer settings when this started happening or since. It seems to have started happening all by itself and has been getting more widespread by itself also.

I use Shell Enhancer mostly to control window sizes and for the task switcher, and I don't want to have to stop using it, but this problem has become extremely annoying.
mbrazil

Re: Shell Enhancer causes close (X) buttons to be grayed out

Postby Marc G » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:56 am

This problem was solved with an email discussion, but I also wanted to post it here for future reference.

The problem is a known issue, see first bullet on http://www.nuonsoft.net/shellenhancer/known_issues.php
When the option "Add menu items to the system/window menu of each window" is disabled, the system/window menu might keep schrinking. If you don't want to add those menu items, keep the setting enabled, but use the "Change order of extra system/window menu items" to remove all extra menu items.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Bug Reports