Minimizing Problems

Here you can report bugs you may find in ShellEnhancer.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Minimizing Problems

Postby StealthMonkey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:44 pm

I've found two problems with the minimizing to tray feature.

#1) For some programs, EMS DBISAM Manager for example, after setting that application to always minimize to tray, clicking it on the task bar (which would normally minimize it) causes it's icon to appear in the tray and the application to be removed from the task bar, but the actual application isn't minimized. If you then click on the minimize button on the still open window, it finally minimizes it and creates a second icon in the tray. Minimizing it from the minus icon on the title bar initially works perfectly.

#2) To reproduce this, open some window, IE or whatever. Minimize it. Open another program, and tell it to minimize to tray. It does, then the other application (the IE window) restores and is no longer minimized.
StealthMonkey

Re: Minimizing Problems

Postby Marc G » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:57 pm

StealthMonkey wrote:I've found two problems with the minimizing to tray feature.

#1) For some programs, EMS DBISAM Manager for example, after setting that application to always minimize to tray, clicking it on the task bar (which would normally minimize it) causes it's icon to appear in the tray and the application to be removed from the task bar, but the actual application isn't minimized. If you then click on the minimize button on the still open window, it finally minimizes it and creates a second icon in the tray. Minimizing it from the minus icon on the title bar initially works perfectly.
There might indeed be some problems with some windows to minimize them to the tray. Unfortunately it is directly related to that window. Is EMS DBISAM something free? Can it be downloaded from the net?

StealthMonkey wrote:#2) To reproduce this, open some window, IE or whatever. Minimize it. Open another program, and tell it to minimize to tray. It does, then the other application (the IE window) restores and is no longer minimized.
Mmm, can't seem to be able to reproduce this on my test systems. Does it always happen?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Re: Minimizing Problems

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:03 am

I recorded what was happening to help show you:

http://www.stealthmonkey.com/Example.mov

You can download a trial to DBISAM Manager here - http://www.ems-hitech.com/download/dbim ... anager.zip (watch the quicktime video first)

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:23 am

Wow, thank you for taking the time to make that little movie. :) It really helped me to understand the problems you're experiencing.
One of the problems is that ShellEnhancer automatically activates the next window in the window chain when you minimize a window to the tray. But, you have minimized all other windows, so minimizing the only visible window will cause ShellEnhancer to activate the next window in the chain and that will cause that window to un-minimize.
Of course, this is a bug and I will fix it.

Your other problem is specifically related to the EMS DBISAM window. I've downloaded and installed the trial version, and I am able to reproduce the bug. I'll try to fix it.

Once again, thank you for making that little movie.

Btw: Nice big monitor you have there ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby StealthMonkey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:21 pm

Alright, cool. If you need anthing else I'll be checking this thread. Can you also post here when there is a new build that resolved these issues? Thanks.

-- Matt
StealthMonkey

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:45 pm

StealthMonkey wrote:Alright, cool. If you need anthing else I'll be checking this thread. Can you also post here when there is a new build that resolved these issues? Thanks.

-- Matt

I'll post here when this is fixed.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby StealthMonkey » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:13 pm

Do you guys have a beta testing team other than the general public beta releases? If so, I would be interested on getting on that team.
StealthMonkey

Postby Marc G » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:23 pm

Thank you for your interest.
We don't really have a beta test-team for ShellEnhancer. ShellEnhancer is such a complex program that those betas have to be released to the public to get it tested on as many systems as possible. Also, because of the complexity of ShellEnhancer, it might be the case that it stays beta for a while.

For our other programs, we have a little beta test-team. I'm currently busy developing the next major release of Wallpaper Cycler. A beta release is still a bit of, because it is being rewritten from scratch. But if you are interested, I can use extra beta testers for Wallpaper Cycler once these betas are ready. Just let me know if you want to be beta tester for Wallpaper Cycler.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Bug Reports