Transparency when not active - Photoshop and Quicktime

Here you can report bugs you may find in ShellEnhancer.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Transparency when not active - Photoshop and Quicktime

Postby DrWorm » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:33 am

With "Transparency when not active" enabled, Adobe Photoshop CS will not open. It begins to open but locks up. If you enable "Make fully opaque when maximised" Photoshop will open normally.

I suspect that if Photoshop did not open in a Maximised state, it would not successful open with "Transparency when not active" enabled at all.

This same situation effect Quicktime also. You can watch video's a web browser, but if the browser becomes transparent (at any time) video will not play back properly from that time onwards.
DrWorm

Re: Transparency when not active - Photoshop and Quicktime

Postby Marc G » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:36 am

DrWorm wrote:With "Transparency when not active" enabled, Adobe Photoshop CS will not open. It begins to open but locks up. If you enable "Make fully opaque when maximised" Photoshop will open normally.

I suspect that if Photoshop did not open in a Maximised state, it would not successful open with "Transparency when not active" enabled at all.

Thank you for mentioning this. I'll try to fix this issue.

DrWorm wrote:This same situation effect Quicktime also. You can watch video's a web browser, but if the browser becomes transparent (at any time) video will not play back properly from that time onwards.

I suspect that this might be a problem with the way Windows handles transparency and it might be the case that there's nothing that can be done about it, but I will look into it.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

... and Trillian

Postby DrWorm » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:48 am

Trillian 0.74 also doesn't seem to like becoming transparent. The application will run, but as soon as you display the main application window it locks up. Chat windows work fine.
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:07 am

Ok
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DrWorm » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:04 am

DrWorm wrote:This same situation effect Quicktime also. You can watch video's a web browser, but if the browser becomes transparent (at any time) video will not play back properly from that time onwards.

This is true also for if you use "Color Key". I had the application background set to transparent so I could see the desktop through Opera (a tip I saw in another thread).

Which is a great use for "Color Key", by the way. You should use it as an example in the help file as when I first read about it and tried it out I thought it was an impractical feature. But being able to click through my Photoshop window is a treat.
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:38 am

DrWorm wrote:

This is true also for if you use "Color Key". I had the application background set to transparent so I could see the desktop through Opera (a tip I saw in another thread).

Yes, Color Keying and Transparency both use the same technology in Windows. They both are dependent on a feature called Layered Windows. Unfortunately, some windows of some application don't like to be converted to a layered window. Because of this, transparency and color keying won't work correctly on such windows. The bad news is that I can't do anything about this :( It's caused by the layered windows implementation of Microsoft in the current versions of Windows. This should be fixed in Windows longhorn, but that's still some years away though.

DrWorm wrote:Which is a great use for "Color Key", by the way. You should use it as an example in the help file as when I first read about it and tried it out I thought it was an impractical feature. But being able to click through my Photoshop window is a treat.

That's a good idea. That would make it more clear to people what the color keying feature can be used for.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Bug Reports