Applications that don't like transparency...

Here you can report bugs you may find in ShellEnhancer.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Applications that don't like transparency...

Postby DrWorm » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:55 am

I thought I would create a generic thread for applications that don't like transparency.

In this thread I already mentioned that Photoshop CS, Trillian, and quicktime don't like it.

With Transparency when not active enabled, Outlook 2003 will lock up when opening. Though if you enable this feature after Outlook is open it will function fine. This is the same with Photoshop CS and I wonder if it's related to the splash screen.

With color key enabled the reading pane of Outlook will flicker so you can see windows/desktop behind it when changing messages even if the colour is not present in the Outlook window. This is very minor.
DrWorm

Postby Marc G » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:19 am

This thread is indeed a nice idea.

I do have to say some things first though.
Transparency and Color keying in ShellEnhancer are both based on a feature called Layered Windows which has been implemented by Microsoft in Windows 2000 and later. Windows was never designed for transparent windows so Microsoft had to come up with some tricks to add support for layered windows to Windows 2000 and later. Because of these tricks layered windows (and thus transparency and color keying) don't work with all windows because some windows do some special stuff that conflicts with the layered windows feature. Playing a movie in Quicktime is one example.

So, we can use this thread to post which windows don't like transparency, but unfortunately there is most probably nothing I can do about those issues, though I will take a look at each application mentioned here.

To get perfect and seemless transparency/color keying, we'll have to wait for Windows 'Longhorn' and ShellEnhancer for 'Longhorn', both will be released in the 2006-2007 timeframe.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:23 am

I've made this a sticky thread, so it stays at the top of the topic list.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Bug Reports