SE doesn't differentiate between Outlook Express windows

Here you can report bugs you may find in ShellEnhancer.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

SE doesn't differentiate between Outlook Express windows

Postby mbrazil » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:32 am

I've got SE set to resize and reposition the Outlook Express main window to 1292 x 1036 at X: -6 and Y: -4 (this yields a full-screen window at 1280 x 1024 without the borders showing and gives me the maximum available space in the window -- a bit more than when it's maximized).

At first, I was identifying Outlook Express by program name, and SE would do its job on the main OE window :D , but it also resized and repositioned to the same size and position both the Outlook Express window that is shown when you manually have it check mail and the New Message window you use when you're composing mail :( . I changed the identification method for OE to Window Name, which is always Inbox - Outlook Express when OE starts, and this solved part of the problem, as the mail-check status window is now allowed to remain its default size. However, the New Message window is still being reset to the full-screen size and position, even though I've got the New Message windows set up in SE to be identified by window name and have set it to a different size and position :cry: . Is this a bug? If not, can something be done to improve the method used to identify individual windows generated by the same application (as described above) so that only the desired window(s) are affected?

Mike
mbrazil

Re: SE doesn't differentiate between Outlook Express windows

Postby Marc G » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 am

There are 3 ways to specify a window:
  • Application name
  • Window title
  • Window classname
Did you try the last method? I'm pretty sure the class name of all thoses windows will be different.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby mbrazil » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:22 am

Marc G wrote:There are 3 ways to specify a window:
  • Application name
  • Window title
  • Window classname
Did you try the last method? I'm pretty sure the class name of all thoses windows will be different.

Thanks for the quick reply, Marc. I did try that for both the OE main window and the New Message window, but it didn't seem to help. After reading your reply, I went back and checked, and I found that, in the process of experimenting to try to solve my problem, I had screwed up and left an extra instance of a window that was also set to Window classname, and it had the same classname as the New Message window (it was probably another instance of the New Message window itself, so I had two of them, one set to the same size and position settings as the OE main window and one set for the size I wanted). Anyway, I've now got both the OE main window and the New Message window set to Window classname, and they do have different classnames, and it's all working fine. Just another case of component failure, I guess -- the component in question being the user. :oops:
mbrazil

Postby Marc G » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 am

Good to hear it's working now :)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to SE - Bug Reports