heeeeey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for ShellEnhancer here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

heeeeey!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby mortee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:23 pm

Hey, I lost all my tasks defined in the last three days, when I restarted my computer!!!

During the logout process, SE asked me whether I wanted to save the modifications, but before I had a chance to confirm it, windows shut the program down.

The problem is, I wasn't even aware that those task definitions were not saved automatically.

So, my very strong suggestion is that SE should either automatically save all tasks as soon as the task's editor dialog is closed, like any other macro apps do; or make it very clear and un-missable that the user needs to save the tasks explicitely. In this latter case, I suggest flashing the save button a few times when a task editor dialog is closed, and perhaps popping up a WinXP-style message bubble reminding the user to do so.

I would definitely prefer the automatic saving solution though.
mortee

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:43 pm

Oops, sorry for the inconvenience :(

I'll fix it in the next release by asking the user to save the tasks file when he/she closes the task editor.

Btw: normally, there should be a timeout of half-a-minute or so, before Windows kills applications when shutting down.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby mortee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:35 pm

Marc G wrote:Btw: normally, there should be a timeout of half-a-minute or so, before Windows kills applications when shutting down.

Yes - that timeout just expired when I noticed that I should have clicked a button on a dialog. And even if this wasn't the case, I don't have such a chance when the computer crashes, or on a power outage.

The user's data, the result of his/her work is the most important thing on a computer - every single program should do the maximum it can to protect and preserve the information charged on it.

Anyway, is there a reason this has to work in the classic document file style, i.e. that the user has to explicitely save it? I don't really see a case where a user would want to make such changes to the task list which s/he wouldn't want to have saved automatically. Even if there are temporary changes, that most probably involves new temporary tasks, not changes to existing ones, which would eventually have to be undone. That said, I see no real reason why saving should be explicit.
mortee

Postby mortee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:05 pm

Well, it seems to not have saved my auto-managed windows either. From this, I guess it would only have saved it on quit, but because Windows killed it, it didn't have a chance. What about simply saving the configuration on every change? That would be so much more convenient, and safe.
Last edited by mortee on Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mortee

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:06 pm

With the file-design, the user has the ability to have multiple tasks files. For example, the user might create a tasks file for when he/she is working/editing a website and have a completely other tasks file when for example programming with other mouse gesture assignments etc.

Also, on Windows 9x which is not really multi-user oriented, several 'users' might use ShellEnhancer. Settings are not always separated for different 'users' on 9x, so in that case all 'users' would have the same tasks. With file-based tasks, the user just loads its own tasks file.

Also, it makes it much easier to swap tasks files with other users, otherwise the user should export their tasks and the other user should import them.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:07 pm

mortee wrote:Well, it seems to not have saved my auto-managed windows either. From this, I guess it would only have saved it on quit, but because windows killed it, it didn't have a chance. What about simply saving the configuration on every change? That would be so much more convenient, and safe.

Mmm, that's a bug, it should save the settings when you close the ShellEnhancer settings window.

It will be fixed and also ShellEnhancer will ask the user to save the tasks file when he/she closes the tasks editor.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby mortee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:09 pm

Don't misunderstand me, I don't have any problem with exchangeable files holding task lists. That's all nice and good. Just don't require the user to manually deal with saving them. Whatever you alter, you alter it in the active task list file, period.
mortee

Return to SE - Wishlist