Scroll Bar Tweaks

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for ShellEnhancer here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Scroll Bar Tweaks

Postby TheBlackCat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:23 am

Sorry to bring up yet another request. I know you are already swamped but I think this could be useful. I will point out beforehand, though, that I am not sure it is even possible, so if it isn't that is fine. I am also not sure how big of a priority it is, others might want to post if they want this because if it isn't something commonly desired it probably shouldn't be that much of a priority.

There are actually two requests I have regarding the scroll bar. The first has to do with the scroll arrows (or arrow buttons or whatever you want to call them). These are the buttons that, in windows, are at the top and bottom the scroll bar. At the top of the scroll bar is an up arrow button that, when clicked, causes the page to scroll up. At the bottom there is one that makes the page scroll down. However, Macintosh computers have two arrows at the bottom of the scroll bar, the upper arrow making it scroll up and the lower making it scroll down. There is no arrow at the top of the scroll bar. Some versions of Linux go even further, having an arrow at the top for scrolling up and two arrows at the bottom for doing both. However, none of these solutions I think are really optimal. Firefox, I think, has the best solution, but it is pretty well hidden. You can read about it here. I actually stumbled upon this looking for something similar for windows in general. The basic idea is that there are four scroll arrows. At the top of the scroll bar there is a scroll up button and a scroll down button, while at the bottom there are both again. Now normally it has only the scroll up button at the top and the scroll down button at the bottom turned on. However, you are able to manually turn each on and off independently. So you could have it like windows, have it like mac, have it like Linux, have all four on, or turn off the scroll buttons entirely. See the link for pictures showing what I mean. I think having an option like this for windows as a whole would be really helpful, both for the horizontal and for the vertical scroll bars (either together or, better yet, independently of each other). However, I do not know whether this can be changed. I am not even sure whether it is a general windows thing or whether it is implemented separately in each program. But if this were possible it would be great.

The second issue has to do with the shortcuts for scrolling. Normally when you click and drag on the scroll bar it moves. That is fine. Normally when you click in a blank space on the scroll area the page jumps one screen per click (or less if there is not a whole screen left to move). That is also good. The final shortcut is if you shift+click in a blank space then the scroll bar jumps to exactly that spot. That is normally a good thing, but it can get annoying if you are trying to highlight stuff. What would be good is if you could change or disable the shortcut designations for this. Additionally, it would be good to add another option. In this case holding down another button and clicking in the blank space would cause the page to scroll one screen away from where you clicked instead of one screen towards where you clicked. That way if the scroll bar is at the very top of a large document you don't have to go all the way to the top of the bar to scroll up one screen.

As I said, I know you are swamped and I don't know whether these are possible. But I can tell you they would be very helpful for me, and might be for other people as well.
TheBlackCat

Postby Marc G » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:32 am

I like both ideas, however, I would need to do some investigation whether it is possible to change all scrollbars across all programs.
I will add both ideas to the todo list but cannot promise anything on whether and when these will be implemented.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby TheBlackCat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 am

Thank you very much. I know really nothing about this sort of thing so I may just be wasting your time, but it would be very useful if possible.
TheBlackCat

Postby Marc G » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:03 am

I also think it would be useful (if possible ;) ). But, at the moment I'm first working on a new version of Wallpaper Cycler.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby TheBlackCat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:12 pm

That is fine. Take your time. I am certainly not going to complain about a WPC upgrade.
TheBlackCat

Return to SE - Wishlist