Unable to get wallpaper for wallpaper object with name X

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Re: AutoSync Save

Postby Marc G » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:49 pm

theUKdude wrote:Another reason I figured it wasn't saving the new additions was because I occasionally get an error popping up (once or twice a day - wallpapers switch every 5 mins) ... 'Unable to get wallpaper for wallpaper object with name "Wallpaper Object 1".' I get this for "Wallpaper Object 2" at the same time as well - I'm running a twin monitor layout. I figured it was because it was trying to display a wallpaper which had been previously added, and auto-sync'd, but not saved ... never had the problem with the previous version :?:

That's strange.
Do both wallpaper objects show the same wallpaper?
Perhaps you have somewhere a corrupt image in your list? Maybe I should add an option to find all corrupt images.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby theUKdude » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:03 pm

Nope, random image chosen from one of 291 categories, and the second image is then taken from the same category, so basically, two random images taken from one random category ... 6937 images in total, so trying to find a corrupt one will be difficult, to say the least :shock: :cry:

Maybe some kind of logging of images shown could be the answer? I assume it logs it somehow as I can go backwards, seemingly indefinitely, by using the 'Previous Wallpaper' hotkey (although, it'll just go back to another random image from the previous category instead of showing the actual previous images ... which is another minor pain, but I guess that's cos I'm setting them to random?). If I can see in the log which image it was attempting to show, then it would help discover the problem, I guess (?)

Thanks for all your replies btw, and for a great piece of software :wink: (and my apologies for taking this off-topic - maybe it should be split into a seperate thread in 'bugs')
theUKdude

Postby Marc G » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:18 pm

theUKdude wrote:Nope, random image chosen from one of 291 categories, and the second image is then taken from the same category, so basically, two random images taken from one random category ... 6937 images in total, so trying to find a corrupt one will be difficult, to say the least :shock: :cry:

Maybe some kind of logging of images shown could be the answer? I assume it logs it somehow as I can go backwards, seemingly indefinitely, by using the 'Previous Wallpaper' hotkey (although, it'll just go back to another random image from the previous category instead of showing the actual previous images ... which is another minor pain, but I guess that's cos I'm setting them to random?). If I can see in the log which image it was attempting to show, then it would help discover the problem, I guess (?)

Unfortunately, it is not possible to browse the "previous wallpaper" log :( Maybe that's another good suggestion ;) I have added it to the todo list.
Also, I will try to add more useful error messages including the filename of the file failed to load.

theUKdude wrote:Thanks for all your replies btw, and for a great piece of software :wink: (and my apologies for taking this off-topic - maybe it should be split into a seperate thread in 'bugs')

I have split the thread ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Sanduleak » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:52 am

I have the same exact problem, in my case is easier to determine if the image is corrupted, because in the category i have only 1 image (wich is not corrupted, by the way).

I think it has something to do with the relation between categories and layouts, I´m running a three monitor configuration, my idea was to have two wallpapers one that extended through the central and left monitor and the other in the right monitor, both wallpapers from different categories.

The curious thing is that i have this configuration working, but yesterday i switched the resollution of all my monitors from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200, i rebuilded all my configuration, layouts, categories... everything, and suddenly i have this problem. I have new wallpapers for this configuration too.

Could the resolution be the problem?.
Sanduleak

Postby Sanduleak » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:18 am

Ok, I think I have something.

Maybe my problem is to have just one wallpaper in the cathegory and in the layout have selected "Random from fixed category".

In the moment I putted another wallpaper in that category everything worked just fine.

I have just tried to do the same in another category... and again it worked just fine.

I think we have a problem with the algorhym when it only has one wallpaper to select... could it be that?
Sanduleak

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:20 am

And just other thing, sorry for my bad english, I´m spanish... :P

Fixed

Postby theUKdude » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 am

ok, I've determined what the problem is and how to fix it...

I am running two monitors and have created a dual monitor layout as per the instructions on the site (can't remember where
offhand). I now have 337 categories containing 15410 wallpapers and what I am doing is getting two random images from 1 random category. The error happens when I only have a single wallpaper in a category. What I thought it would do in this instance would be to display the single image twice, on each screen, but it doesn't do so ... it shows the error mentioned above.

Easiest thing to do is ensure you have no categories with a single image in them, duplicating the image if necessary.

hth,

theUKdude
theUKdude

Postby Sanduleak » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Ok, then now we know where the problem is.

I hope this gets fixed in the next release ;)
Sanduleak

Postby Marc G » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 pm

Thank you for the detailed reports. :)
It will certainly be fixed in the next release, unfortunately I cannot put a date on it.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby theUKdude » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:36 pm

No worries bro :wink:
Keep up the good work
theUKdude

Return to WPC - Bug Reports