WCList.wcl.thumbs locked "feature"

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

WCList.wcl.thumbs locked "feature"

Postby EvilMojo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Hello Marc,

I noticed that when I backup some of my files using Nero, it says that it cannot access WCList.wcl.thumbs file because "it is being used by another process", which I suspect is WPC, naturally. Obviously, the file is locked for reading (and probably for writing). It's a very small thing really, but I thought I'd let you know.

Thanks!
EvilMojo

Postby Marc G » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:22 pm

Yes, that's correct. I don't think that should be counted as a bug. Wallpaper Cycler needs that file. Of course, I might just open/close the file everytime when I need it, but when processing lots of thumbnails this is not really efficient.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Locking

Postby EvilMojo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Right, I don't think it's a bug really either, so I called it a "feature" :twisted:

And I understand the performance/efficiency concern as well. What I'm getting at, really, is that the file doesn't have to be read/write locked, but rather locked for writing only, so only WPC can write, but others can only read. I believe that should be possible. Thank you Marc.
EvilMojo

Postby Marc G » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:54 pm

Problem with letting other programs read the file while Wallpaper Cycler has the file open for writing is that the file can be in an inconsistent state because it might be possible that WPC is just writing in it and at the same being read by another process.

What I might do is close the file when the WPC main window is closed. That should solve the issue.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Locking

Postby EvilMojo » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:14 am

Sounds like a great solution - thanks again Marc!
EvilMojo

Return to WPC - Bug Reports