Screensaver error messages

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Screensaver error messages

Postby aann » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:03 am

While playing with setting up categories, layouts, etc. I ended up getting the following error from the screen saver. This appears yellow text on black, moving from place to place:

"There is a problem while communicating to Wallpaper Cycler:
Returned size <= 0
Is Wallpaper Cycler running? Is your wallpaper list empty?"

After experimenting a bit, I now have a different message:
"Runtime RPC exception in RequestNewImage(): 0x6ba"

This appears within the same surrounding text as the first message.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

I am also now getting an "Out of Memory" dialog box when WPC tries to cycle the wallpaper. That's all the box says -- it's a Windows box with "Wallpaper Cycler" in the title. This leads me to think the WPC file has been corrupted by these recent experiements. I will try to recreate it.

-aann
aann

Re: Screensaver error messages

Postby Marc G » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:25 am

aann wrote:While playing with setting up categories, layouts, etc. I ended up getting the following error from the screen saver. This appears yellow text on black, moving from place to place:

"There is a problem while communicating to Wallpaper Cycler:
Returned size <= 0
Is Wallpaper Cycler running? Is your wallpaper list empty?"
Are you sure that you have wallpaper categories that are enabled?

aann wrote:After experimenting a bit, I now have a different message:
"Runtime RPC exception in RequestNewImage(): 0x6ba"

This appears within the same surrounding text as the first message.

Any suggestions as to the cause?

I am also now getting an "Out of Memory" dialog box when WPC tries to cycle the wallpaper. That's all the box says -- it's a Windows box with "Wallpaper Cycler" in the title. This leads me to think the WPC file has been corrupted by these recent experiements. I will try to recreate it.
I think both problems "RPC exception" and "Out of memory" are related and that the second one is causing the first error.
Would it be possible to send me your .WCL file, so I can take a look at the configuration and at the layouts to see if I can find a cause of the out of memory error? You can send it by email.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:07 pm

I just received your email with your .WCL file, thank you.

I checked the file and it appears the "out of memory" error is caused by the fact that your layout in weathercategory was created on 1280x1024 instead of 2560x1024. Try to open that layout in the layout editor, edit it and close the layout editor and try to use that layout again. The error should be gone.

I will need to find a correct fix for this issue for the next release. The problem is that I'm not quite sure what the best thing is that I can do when creating a layout on a certain monitor/resolution setup and then rendering it on another setup.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Thanks for the help

Postby aann » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:28 am

Thanks for the help. I will re-do the layout to fit the dual-screen resolution. This is for my laptop which switches resolutions quite often, so I can't make a layout that will perfectly match the screen resolution.

In this case, the laptop automatically switches resolutions between:

a. Native wide-screen (1280x1024)
b. Dual-monitor when docked
c. 1024 x 768 when connected to a meeting room projector

I suppose the ideal solution would be to have different layouts for different monitor configurations, with the option to either stretch or tile.

Thanks again
aann

Postby Marc G » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:23 am

Yes, I know that the layouts currently don't work perfectly with changing monitor configuration. I'm thinking about how to fix this for a next release.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Best way to avoid errors?

Postby aann » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Marc,

What is the best way to avoid errors with the current release? Should the layout size match the smallest or largest display resolution? Should it be restricted to one screen, or is it ok to make it double-wide?

Thanks,
-aann
aann

Postby Marc G » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Unfortunately there is no nice solution for switching between dual and single monitor setups :(
If you create a dual monitor layout, it will be distorted when rendered on single monitor and if you make if for single monitor, it will also be distorted (stretched) for dual monitor mode.

Do you switch often?
What you could do is create 2 layout categories. 1 category contains single monitor layouts, the other dual monitor layouts. When you switch your configuration, enable/disable the correct layout categories.

The problem is, I'm not quite sure what the best solution would be to implement in a future release to avoid these issues. Suggestions are always welcome.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Ideas

Postby aann » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:05 pm

Right now, I don' t mind the stretching or compressing -- that's ok, and didn't surprise me when it happened.

I do want to avoid the error messages by defining layouts that WPC can use regardless of the current resolution, and without manually enabling or disabling categories. Ideally, that would be a layout that fits the dual-monitor configuration I use at my desk. If it has to be a single-wide image duplicated on both monitors, that's less good but still ok.

For the future, it may make sense to provide these options for layouts:
( ) Use only for with NNNxMMMM (i.e. whatever the true size of the layout is)
( ) Scale to fit current screen resolution
( ) Center without resizing
( ) Crop to screen resolution, without resizing

The first option would allow WPC to choose from a subset of layouts that were designed for whatever the current resolution is.
The second option would be what WPC does today
The third option may not be useful...
The fourth option would allow a single layout to be two screens wide, for example, but only show either the left or right half when one screen was available.

Thanks,
-aann
aann

Postby Marc G » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:40 am

Those are very good ideas. Thank you :)
I'll try to implement them.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports