Quick disable not behaving as expected.

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Quick disable not behaving as expected.

Postby valais » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Your help file says:

The "Quick Disable" Hotkeys allow you to configure system-wide hotkeys to quickly disable a category or tags. A hotkey can also be configured to show a menu of all available categories or all available tags. When you disable a category with this feature and the current wallpaper on your desktop is from this disabled category, Wallpaper Cycler will automatically cycle to the next wallpaper. When a tag is disabled with a hotkey and the current wallpaper on the desktop has that tag, the desktop will be cycled automatically. Wallpapers with disabled tags will not be cycled.

However, when I press the hotkey that I set up:
- With "disable category", the category is disabled but the wallpapers do not cycle if they were in the category that was just disabled.
- With "disable tag", the tag doesn't appear to be disabled at all (a forced cycle can still come from an image with the disabled tag), and wallpapers do not cycle as above.

My WCL file is set up to cycle 2 desktop backgrounds (dual monitor environment) based on specific tags (which are never disabled). Some images have an additional tag or two that may be disabled, yet when that tag is disabled, images with that tag are still cycled. And as mentioned, disabling by category doesn't automatically cycle backgrounds that are already set and in that category.

Seems to be a bit of a hefty bug with this functionality.
valais

Postby Marc G » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I just tested it on my machine, and it does seem to work correctly as described.
Maybe it's something specific with your configuration of tags/categories/...
Please send me your .WCL files through the support email address so I can take a look at the exact configuration.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 am

Thank you for sending me your .WCL file.
I checked your configuration and it is indeed a problem currently. Problem is that the Quick Disable feature only works with the wallpaper that is marked "Auto". In your case, your layout is not using this "Auto" wallpaper but is instead using tags based selection. Fixing this requires a rewrite of some parts of the flow, but I already started with it right now.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Marc G » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:54 pm

I just fixed the following 2 problems:
  • Some configurations of wallpaper objects in layouts didn't take disabled tags into account.
  • The "Quick Disable" feature now properly checks all wallpapers currently on the desktop to determine if it needs to cycle when disabling a category or tag.

So these fixes will be in the next release.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby valais » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Any word on when that is planned?

Though to be honest, the quick turnaround on the support here has pretty much reassured me that registering the program is money well spent :)
valais

Postby Marc G » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 pm

No, I cannot yet put a date on it.
However, I can assure you that it won't take as long as for the previous release.
I'm planning on releasing smaller increments as to be able to release bug-fixes faster to the users.
Also, I just posted a new entry on my blog describing the few bug-fixes and new features I already implemented.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports