screen saver "runtime RPC exception"

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

screen saver "runtime RPC exception"

Postby jdcopelin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Hello,

I have been running WPC and its screensaver function for a few years now without any problem until a couple of nights ago when the screensaver started displaying an error message written in yellow text on a black background:

There is a problem while connecting to
Wallpaper Cycler:
Runtime RPC exception in
RequestNewImage(): 0x6ba.
Is Wallpaper Cycler Running? Is your
wallpaper list empty?

Now, I see from a previous post that this error can appear when switching resolutions/monitors but I've used the same resolution on this PC for 5 years.

I have created a new WCL file with a couple of photos in it, but it still doesn't work. Disabling my firewall and re-installing WPC does not fix it. WPC continues to generate wallpapers for the windows desktop without a problem. Clicking "preview" in the screen saver settings on display properties doesn't work either. However, if I double-click the .scr file in the windows directory it works fine.

Do you have any suggestions on what could be wrong please?

Thanks,
Jonathan
jdcopelin

Postby Marc G » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:28 am

Is this the latest 3.5 version?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby jdcopelin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:43 am

Hello,

The version I am running is 3.5.0.97 (on Windows XP Pro SP3).

Jonathan
jdcopelin

Postby Marc G » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Stange, because 0x6ba means that the RPC server (= Wallpaper Cycler) is unavailable. So somehow the screensaver doesn't find the running instance of Wallpaper Cycler.
When you exit WPC and start it again, do you get any error message related to RPC?
Are you running another instance of WPC as another user in the background, maybe using Fast User Switching?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby jdcopelin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi,

I don't get any other error messages other than the one that displays when the screen saver is "active".

No other instance of WPC is running (I don't use Fast User Switching).

If I "exit wallpaper cycler" from the systray icon and right click the desktop and go to display properties, when I preview the screen saver I get the same error message. When I re-load WPC and go to preview the screen saver I get the exact same error.

Furthermore, when I go to WPC program settings and click "screensaver->enable" it doesn't change the screen saver listing in display properties (in fact I think it always ends up being "none" no matter what screen saver it was set to previously. If I manually select "Wallpaper Cycler" on display properties and go to WPC program settings, it shows as disabled (if I click enable, the display properties show no screen saver selected).

This strange behaviour is really starting to frustrate me now! The fact that I have had this version of WPC running without issue for a while, I'm beginning to think that something is up with my PC.

Any ideas?

Jonathan
jdcopelin

Postby Marc G » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Can you try to search for all files called "Wallpaper Cycler Screensaver.scr" on your harddisk.
The 3.5 installer should have installed this in the progam folder meaning "c:\program files\nuonsoft\wallpapercyler" or something like that. The 3.5 installer should not install the Wallpaper Cycler Screensaver.scr file in the windows directory.
If you have a Wallpaper Cycler Screensaver.scr in the windows directory, please try to rename that file to Wallpaper Cycler Screensaver.sc_ or something similar. Then go to WPC settings, disable the screensaver, click OK, go back to the settings, enable the screensaver again and click OK. See if that solves anything.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby jdcopelin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks!!!

You were right, there was a "Wallpaper Cycler Screensaver.scr" in my \windows\system32 directory which I renamed. Went to WPC and enabled screen saver, and since then it has worked every time!

Cheers,
Jonathan
jdcopelin

Postby Marc G » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:39 pm

:D thanks for the good news. I'm glad I could help you :)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports