Thumbnails no longer viewable under wallpapers

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Thumbnails no longer viewable under wallpapers

Postby molitar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 pm

When I go under wallpapers and click to view thumbnails.. the thumbnails are all empty.. no thumbnails showing at all.. but if I go under the individual category folder thumbnails are showing just fine.. how do I fix this bug?
molitar

Re: Thumbnails no longer viewable under wallpapers

Postby Marc G » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:02 am

I'm not quite sure if I understand the issue.
By default, WPC will only display the thumbnails of the current category, not for sub-categories.
If you want to display all thumbnails in all sub-categories, right click somewhere in the thumbnail view, go to "View" and click on "Contens of subfolders".
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby molitar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Ok when I added my wallpapers I added it under the title Anime.. It has sub-folders under it. Now most of the time when I open up the default My Wallpapers top category that has 16351 wallpapers and it shows click here to view thumbnails. I will click there and majority of the time it will just show place holders and not the thumbnails themselves.. almost as if the thumbnail index or something has corrupted or not reading properly.. Now if I go click on Anime folder it will show all wallpapers under Anime except for the sorted folders under them but all thumbnails are viewable.. I will than click on the sub folders like Bamboo Blade, Air Gear, Swimsuits, ect and all thumbnails work under each of them category. The problem is when I go back to My Wallpapers and click here to view thumbnails that many times the thumbnails will not view.. it's like the top level thumbnail index is corrupted or something and can not be viewed or something.. is their any method to fix this or some trick to get thumbnails viewable 100% of the time again?

Second problem is I tried adding wallpapers with folders consecutively but it still creates folders or categories that really don't like to cycle.. Is their no method to add wallpapers and have a single category? I tried adding as links without the category folders but I still have the individual folders which means the program isn't showing a lot of my wallpapers in the cycling. How do I add all my anime folders that is under the single folder as a single category without the sub categories? Maybe that is another reason the index for the primary My Wallpapers is having so many problems.
molitar

Postby Marc G » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm

That's strange :(
You can repair/recreate the thumbnail database by going to Tools > Manage Thumbnail Database.

Regarding your other issue, when you click on "Add Folder Recursively", a window will popup with settings for the import. There you can disable "Keep folder structure" and that will cause all wallpapers to be put in 1 category.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby molitar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:06 am

Ok I tried starting over from scratch.. deleted all categories.. created added folder recursively with the keep folder structure unchecked.. Now it's really fucked up.. instead of the nearly 17k in pictures it is now reading 37k and the folder structure is still there but now it seems the images are duplicated. The unchecking not keeping folder structures seems to be totally broken or the old categories are not deleting properly and is still in the thumbnail database.. if so where is the thumbnail database I can try deleting it having it create a new one.
molitar

Postby Marc G » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:38 am

Are you sure you deleted all categories so that the only one that remained was "My Wallpapers"?
Because if you left another top-level category, it might resynchronize all wallpapers.

The thumbnail database should be in the same folder as the .WCL file. You can see where the .WCL file is located in the title bar of the main window.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby molitar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Yes deleted all categories.. seems if I use the compact feature it adds to it and doesn't compact it at all. Ok so the thumbs database is with the wcl file.. yep checked it and it is 72MB in size. This problem only seems to occur if I use add folders recursively with the do not save folder structure. Than it thinks I have way more files than I do.
molitar

Postby molitar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:53 am

Ok I deleted the wcl file.. deleted the thumbnails.. and than created new category.. it appears leaving the other option so that it will auto load new wallpapers added that it's re adding the files multiple times.. I have 175 folders with 16086 files.. now when I created the new category it keeps showing that I have 37,580 wallpapers. Now I noticed that it keeps adding the sub folders as new categories hence making multiple wallpapers and 175 folders underneath it instead of the single category.

Ok this software is fatally flawed as a wallpaper cycling software.. If you don't use folder structure you can't link the category to the folder because it creates duplicates with folder structure.. If you use folder structure than the stupid cycler won't cycle through folders.. this is becomming a fatally flowed application.. it doesn't work correctly either method I try. The software needs the ability to be able to cycle sequentially through the files folder by folder to be a practical wallpaper cycler.
molitar

Postby Marc G » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 am

I think you uncovered a bug. I did some testing and when you disable the "keep folder structure" during import it will first add all wallpapers to a single category, but unfortunately, the synchronize wallpapers feature will detect new folders and will recreated the folder structure. I don't immediately see a solution to this problem though. I mean, the synchronize feature is meant to detect wallpapers and folders and to add them...

Regarding your second issue, I just don't get it. I'm using WPC myself on several PCs with random wallpaper selection and it does select wallpapers from all my categories. Also, if you go to tools > program settings > wallpaper cycler, you can enable "cycle wallpaper sequentially".
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby molitar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:22 pm

The second issue is that I have windows set to cycle sequentially but only the pictures in the root of the anime folder is being shown.. all others are not being cycled through when I am doing with folder structure.

Anime
-Widescreen Wallpapers
--Ah My Goddess
--Air
--Air Gear
--Clannad

But only the 3483 pictures in the root Anime folder cycles through.. the folders appeared to be skipped. Now if I start a cycle in one of the sub-folders than it will cycle through only that folder. It will not say cycle through each folder sequentiallly.. Say all of Ah My Goddess, than jump down to the next folder.. it's one folder category or another. So I either have the bugged with no folder structures that no longer allow me to manually change category or synchronize with new pictures added to the wallpapers.

I would like to see a cycle sequentially by tag feature leaving folders out of it completely.. leave folder structure but read alphabetically from say a search, tag or category sequentially. That way I could actually have several categories and change the type of wallpaper on the fly.. Fantasy, Anime, Ecchi, Adult, Safe type categories.. Got nephews and nieces over I can set it to something like the Safe category while they play their games on my system. But currently it doesn't even read sequentially from the My Wallpapers Thumbnail view section which when double clicked on shows all wallpapers. This type of feaeture could be implemented by using say the search folders than it won't matter what the folders are because it will read from the search file list. Dump the search folders to a database with the link to the picture and use that to cycle through sequentially could work to accomplish this.
molitar

Postby Marc G » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:14 am

I cannot reproduce the sequential cycling issue you describe on my test system :(
It goes into subfolders when I try it.

Sequentially cycling by search folder could be a good idea.
Right now, it is possible to randomly cycle through a search folder already.
For this you click on your wallpaper object in your layout and select "random from search folder..." for the "which wallpaper" setting.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports