Automatic Background Color

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Automatic Background Color

Postby DKage » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 pm

I have been using Wallpaper Cycler since I had XP. I am now using it on a computer running Vista. I keep reading that there is a way to set WPC to automatically determine the best color for text and background. The old version (v1.9, I think) used to do this with no problems. Even though I have Automatic Text Color enabled, the color does not change. I do not even see an option for the background, but it doesn't change either. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I am tired of the desktop background always being black and the text white. I almost wish I still had my old version of WPC because it worked beautifully. I appreciate any help on this.
DKage

Re: Automatic Background Color

Postby Marc G » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:27 am

The background color calculation works based on the position of your icons on your desktop.
So the first question that pops in my mind is, do you have any icons on your desktop?
The second thing that I'm thinking of is to try to disable shadows on your desktop text. Please go to the System control panel, then the Advanced tab, then click on the "settings..." button under Performance. In the list of visual effects, find "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and disable it. See if that solves the problem. This is also explained in the help file; http://www.nuonsoft.com/help/wpc_3_6_0_ ... r_Settings
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DKage » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:14 am

Yes, I do have icons on my desktop, as I had on the previous version of WPC on XP. I have tried hiding the icons and even reducing the number of icons; there was no change. And I have already disabled the drop shadows as per the online help article. I have noticed that, depending on the wallpaper, the text will either be black or white; however, it will ONLY be black or white. The desktop area that still shows (for portrait orientation) will ALWAYS stay black, even when black is not the predominant color in the wallpaper.
DKage

Postby DKage » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 am

It has been a few months...so no ideas or suggestions?
DKage

Postby Marc G » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:55 am

Unfortunately, there is no workaround at this moment.
Why don't you leave the icons transparent on Windows Vista?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DKage » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:15 am

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and the situation persists. I have tried making the icons transparent via WPC; are you suggesting that I let Windows handle making the icons transparent instead of WPC?
DKage

Postby Marc G » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 am

Yes, I always let Windows handle the icon text transparency.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby DKage » Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 am

After some experimentation, I found out something interesting. I managed to get the wallpaper color to change to some colors other than black or white; the new colors chosen vary according to the wallpaper image. To do this, I checked the box that says "Also use this background color as the true background color of the wallpaper and not only for the icons." So the background color has changed...finally. But...

...the text color remains only black or white independent of whether I let Windows or WPC make the icons transparent. If I leave it to Windows 7 (right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance -> Use drop shadows for icon labels), the text will always be white with a black shadow. If I leave it to WPC, they will alternate between white and black depending on what WPC decides. Interestingly, black and white NEVER come up as background colors anymore; it is always some varying shade of gray when black or white should be used.

So I guess I'm halfway there. Any other suggestions?
DKage

Postby Marc G » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 am

Unfortunately not :(
The way WPC calculate colors is not really ideal.
It does it by getting the location of your icons on your desktop and by checking the colors in the wallpaper at those location and averaging those colors.
I guess because of this averaging, you never get truly black or white as background, it depends on the wallpaper of course.

Right now I'm getting close to finishing writing my book (Professional C++ Second Edition). Once the book is finished, I will have time again to work on my programs.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports