"Remove from list and cycle..." support for multi-

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for Wallpaper Cycler here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

"Remove from list and cycle..." support for multi-

Postby eascott » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:16 am

...multi-wallpaper layouts.

At this point I can only remove-from-list-and-cycle whichever wallpaper the tool is currently willing to admit into existence. Since the remove-from-list-and-cycle menu item is really a swell feature, saving a lot of time when pruning a wallpaper list, I think it would be a goodidea to make it work in these kind'a layouts.

Actually, as I begin to get a handle on WPC, it is becoming clear that the multi-monitor/multi-wallpaper scenario has not yet been incorporated/integrated into the tool's UI and I can see how doing so should probably be done on a systemic level rather than as a issue-by-issue effort but that could take awhile.... Ok, so I'd be willing to wait I guess.

PS: I moved this to the right forum. Someone should remove the copy from the SE Forum. I'll be more careful from now on... really.
eascott

Postby Marc G » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:04 pm

You are right. Some features currently in WPC only work on the wallpaper that is being displayed in a wallpaper object set to "Auto" on a layout.

However, how should for example the "remove from list and cycle" feature work with multiple wallpaper layouts? The purpose of that feature was to quickly remove the "Auto" wallpaper from the list without any GUI interaction. So, if multi wallpaper layout support is implemented, I think the only solution is to show a menu with all current wallpapers on the desktop, but that would defeat the original purpose of being a "quick gui-less" feature to remove the auto wallpaper. Or add yet another option to those features where you can choose whether you want to run the feature on the auto wallpaper or whether you want a list of all active wallpapers? Any suggestions?
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby eascott » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:43 am

Maybe you could create an invisible (or nearly invisible) selected mechanism for the wallpapers... a right clicked on some inactive part of a wallpaper would set a variable and subsequent use of menu options (that care) can refer to that variable to determine which wallpaper will receive the attention.

In the layout editor, when a textbox is dropped inside a wallpaper's perimeter rectangle. the textbox might be taught to recognize which wallpaper margns it was in and format it's print commands accordingly.
eascott

Postby Marc G » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Yes, for the layout I have already planned an option to be able to link text boxes to wallpaper objects. This way the text box can be any where on your desktop and still display the name of the correct wallpaper object.

However, I don't reallly like this 'clicking on inactive part' thing you mention. This will be too confusing to most users... I'll just have to think some more to find a solution for this.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby eascott » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Well ok then, be that way. Perhaps a mind reading algorithm? :wink:
eascott

Return to WPC - Wishlist