A few suggestions

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

A few suggestions

Postby Angelical_1 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi there Marc,

Exciting to see you're working on Wallpaper Cycler again.. I have a few ideas/suggestions and bugs.

- - - - -
Layouts/Settings

When wanting to export layouts.. it seems that one has to click on each layout then either right click or go to Layouts>Export.. would it be easier to right click the top most folder (containing all the layouts) and allow export all?

Regarding layouts and settings I was thinking that a global 'Export All Settings' would be useful.. by this I mean.. some sort of 'Export All Settings' dialog from which one can select WHICH layouts (via tick boxes) and other settings are saved (possibly with an auto-backup option as Wallpaper Cycler seems adapt with timers).

- - - - -
Layout Editor

I have a rather complex layout that I've designed. A static image with various filters applied, 1 image located top left (with borders etc) and 3 other images from the same group of that picture located in each of the other 3 corners.. news feed inbetween the top 2 pictures, weather report inbetween the the lower images and text across the center of the choosen folder. Whilst I'm sure impossible to picture, the issue is this..

When editing a containing object, apon doing so the object will move to the nearest snap point on the grid (albeit maybe only a few pixels). Additionally, the option to NOT snap to grid doesn't remember it's settings between sessions. My suggestions would be..

1. For the "snap to grid" option to remember it's setting and ideally...
2. For each object to have a lock position option.
- - - - -

Calendar

Suggestion: An idea regarding the Calendar. Could there be seperate options to 'Colour' the current Day, but that I mean the headers Mon, Tue, Wed etc. Thus, it would allow one to colour the Month, Year, Day, Date so visually it would stand out as say 'June 2007 - Monday 26th". An

Bug/Error: In the Edit Calendar drop down there is a spelling error.. it says "Header Cells SatErday" instead of "Header Cells SatUrday"

- - - - -

News Feed

Suggestion: Is there a possibility (I doubt it, but not a problem if not) to break up a string from a feed. For example the BBC Weather feed is a continuous string some 40 words long.. therefore formatting is therefore somewhat limited.. I was wondering if it's possible to manipulate a string, say to extract words 3-9 using..

%feeditem:1;0;Link;3-9%

- - - - -

Anyway, enough of my waffle, great app !!

Kind Regards Angelical_1

- - - - -

P.S - I know I missed the Document Settings options for months. A consequence being that I stopped using Wallpaper Cycler because of the horrible click sound it made when refreshing. Would these options not be better in the TOOLS sections or General Options? These appear to be general settings that one would not normally look in the FILE section.

P.P.S - Other the an spelling error in the Calendar and the position bug in the Editor my comments seem to be mainly suggestions, apologies for that, please feel free to move to the correct section.
Angelical_1

Re: A few suggestions

Postby Marc G » Tue May 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Angelical_1 wrote:Layouts/Settings

When wanting to export layouts.. it seems that one has to click on each layout then either right click or go to Layouts>Export.. would it be easier to right click the top most folder (containing all the layouts) and allow export all?

Regarding layouts and settings I was thinking that a global 'Export All Settings' would be useful.. by this I mean.. some sort of 'Export All Settings' dialog from which one can select WHICH layouts (via tick boxes) and other settings are saved (possibly with an auto-backup option as Wallpaper Cycler seems adapt with timers).

There is already an option to export Wallpaper Cycler settings if you go to Tools > Program Settings > Manage Configuration. This will export all global Wallpaper Cycler settings, so this will not include layouts and wallpapers.
I think about exporting multiple layouts at once, however, this will probably not make it anymore in the next release.

Angelical_1 wrote:Layout Editor

I have a rather complex layout that I've designed. A static image with various filters applied, 1 image located top left (with borders etc) and 3 other images from the same group of that picture located in each of the other 3 corners.. news feed inbetween the top 2 pictures, weather report inbetween the the lower images and text across the center of the choosen folder. Whilst I'm sure impossible to picture, the issue is this..

When editing a containing object, apon doing so the object will move to the nearest snap point on the grid (albeit maybe only a few pixels). Additionally, the option to NOT snap to grid doesn't remember it's settings between sessions. My suggestions would be..

1. For the "snap to grid" option to remember it's setting and ideally...
2. For each object to have a lock position option.
- - - - -

You are right, this might be annoying for complex layout. I will add both idea: remember the "snap to grid" setting and implement a lock for objects.

Angelical_1 wrote:Calendar

Suggestion: An idea regarding the Calendar. Could there be seperate options to 'Colour' the current Day, but that I mean the headers Mon, Tue, Wed etc. Thus, it would allow one to colour the Month, Year, Day, Date so visually it would stand out as say 'June 2007 - Monday 26th". An

I'm not sure if I understand what you really want. There is an option to configure the "Current Day Cell" which allows you to change the look of the cell of the current day. Is this what you want? If not, could you make a small sketch that explains it?

Angelical_1 wrote:Bug/Error: In the Edit Calendar drop down there is a spelling error.. it says "Header Cells SatErday" instead of "Header Cells SatUrday"

Thank you for mentioning this. I'll fix it.

Angelical_1 wrote:News Feed

Suggestion: Is there a possibility (I doubt it, but not a problem if not) to break up a string from a feed. For example the BBC Weather feed is a continuous string some 40 words long.. therefore formatting is therefore somewhat limited.. I was wondering if it's possible to manipulate a string, say to extract words 3-9 using..

So, what you want is the following:
Suppose your title is: "NuonSoft: announcing blog."
and if you write %feeditem:1;0;Title;1-2% you would get:
"announcing blog"
correct?
If so, I'll add it to the todo, but it will probably not be for the next release anymore.

Angelical_1 wrote:Anyway, enough of my waffle, great app !!

Your suggestions and feedback is really appreciated.
I'm glad you like the program.

Angelical_1 wrote:P.S - I know I missed the Document Settings options for months. A consequence being that I stopped using Wallpaper Cycler because of the horrible click sound it made when refreshing. Would these options not be better in the TOOLS sections or General Options? These appear to be general settings that one would not normally look in the FILE section.

You are correct and in fact this has already been changed for the next version. Both settings are now combined into 1 dialog.

Angelical_1 wrote:P.P.S - Other the an spelling error in the Calendar and the position bug in the Editor my comments seem to be mainly suggestions, apologies for that, please feel free to move to the correct section.

No need for apologies. I appreciate all feedback I get :)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Angelical_1 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:14 am

Marc G wrote:There is already an option to export Wallpaper Cycler settings if you go to Tools > Program Settings > Manage Configuration. This will export all global Wallpaper Cycler settings, so this will not include layouts and wallpapers.

I think about exporting multiple layouts at once, however, this will probably not make it anymore in the next release.

I'll be honest, I find the export settings confusing as it's unclear exactly 'which' settings are being exported (as I wrongly assumed the layouts were saved too). What you're saying is that (at the moment) to save the settings and layouts, one would have to save settings via the Manage Configuration and then saving each layout separately?

The suggestion was that there be a single location to 'Export Settings' where the dialog could have... tick boxes to select which settings are saved, which layouts are saved (along with their tree structure). Likewise, the 'Import Settings' could have these same tick boxes to select which settings are imported.

The idea being similar to (as example) to the export settings in my email client (The Bat) where one can choose which settings, accounts and folders are exported and imported. Within the Wallpaper Cycler these options would be settings and layouts.

My reason for the suggestion being that, currently I have about 30 layouts... therefore (as you can imagine) backing these up (sorry if I'm misunderstanding) is very time consuming and repetitive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Marc G wrote:You are right, this might be annoying for complex layout. I will add both idea: remember the "snap to grid" setting and implement a lock for objects.

Actually, more specifically, when left clicking an object it will move to the "snap to grid" position whereas right clicking it won't.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Marc G wrote:I'm not sure if I understand what you really want. There is an option to configure the "Current Day Cell" which allows you to change the look of the cell of the current day. Is this what you want? If not, could you make a small sketch that explains it?

I'll try explain...

Let's pretend the date is "Friday 18th May 2007"... What I was suggesting is there be an option to colour the "Current Day Header", so..

1) The "Current Day Header" would colour the word "Fri"
2) The "Current Day Cell" would colour the number "18".

The idea being that being able to colour the Day Header and Day Cell one could easily see, at a glance, the words "Fri" and "18" accented/highlighted.

Marc G wrote:So, what you want is the following:
"announcing blog"
correct?
If so, I'll add it to the todo, but it will probably not be for the next release anymore.

Actually, I'd consider the words "announcing blog." to be words 2-3, as word 1 would be "Nuonsoft:"

The idea, in relation to the BBC Weather RSS feed is that currently the string says (hehe, wait for it..)

The forecast for Wakefield (WF1), United Kingdom on Thursday: cloudy. Max Temp: 18°C (64°F), Min Temp: 12°C (53°F), Wind Direction: W, Wind Speed: 12mph, Visibility: poor, Pressure: 1013mb, Humidity: 64%, UV risk: low, Pollution: low, Sunrise: 05:00BST, Sunset: 21:02BST

So, if I wanted (not that I do, it's just an example, heh) just the words Wakefield (WF1), and the wind speed of 12mph

I could write the code as..

The Wind Speed in %feeditem:1;0;Link;4-5% is currently %feeditem:1;0;Link;24%.

which would display as..

The Wind Speed in Wakefield (WF1), is currently 12mph.

To complicate (well, enhance) at a later date (should you wish) a means to remove characters from the beginning or end of words would be useful. As you can see in the BBC Weather RSS feed there are lots of , and : characters. In the example the code %feeditem:1;0;Link;4-5% would return Wakefield (WF1), which is ok, but really, I don't need the last character of ",". So, maybe the code could be %feeditem:1;0;Link;4-5(1)% where (1) indicates 1 less character from the right.. therefore it'd return Wakefield (WF1)... and likewise, %feeditem:1;0;Link;(1)4-5% would return akefield (WF1),.

The only other useful code that could be added would be to Uppercase or Lowercase the first character or a word using, say U for upper and L for lower. Doing so one could correct the word "poor." which is word 26 with the code %feeditem:1;0;Link;(U)26(1)%. This would Uppercase the word and remove the last character to display the word "Poor".

A more complex example of the same word 26 would be %feeditem:1;0;Link;(U2)26(1)% which would remove the first 2 character of "poor." leaving "or.", then Uppercasing the first character leaving "Or.", then removing the last character leaving "Or".

Kind Regards Angelical_1
Angelical_1

Postby Marc G » Thu May 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Angelical_1 wrote:I'll be honest, I find the export settings confusing as it's unclear exactly 'which' settings are being exported (as I wrongly assumed the layouts were saved too). What you're saying is that (at the moment) to save the settings and layouts, one would have to save settings via the Manage Configuration and then saving each layout separately?

The suggestion was that there be a single location to 'Export Settings' where the dialog could have... tick boxes to select which settings are saved, which layouts are saved (along with their tree structure). Likewise, the 'Import Settings' could have these same tick boxes to select which settings are imported.

The idea being similar to (as example) to the export settings in my email client (The Bat) where one can choose which settings, accounts and folders are exported and imported. Within the Wallpaper Cycler these options would be settings and layouts.

My reason for the suggestion being that, currently I have about 30 layouts... therefore (as you can imagine) backing these up (sorry if I'm misunderstanding) is very time consuming and repetitive.

I see, the "Export Settings" that is available was designed to export WPC settings not WCL settings since these are already saved in the .WCL file.
However, I can see some usecases for you idea. I'll add it to the todo, but it will not be for the next version anymore...

Angelical_1 wrote:I'll try explain...

Let's pretend the date is "Friday 18th May 2007"... What I was suggesting is there be an option to colour the "Current Day Header", so..

1) The "Current Day Header" would colour the word "Fri"
2) The "Current Day Cell" would colour the number "18".

The idea being that being able to colour the Day Header and Day Cell one could easily see, at a glance, the words "Fri" and "18" accented/highlighted.

Ah, that might be a good idea. I'll add it also to the todo. However, not sure for which version.

Marc G wrote:So, what you want is the following:
"announcing blog"
correct?

Angelical_1 wrote:Actually, I'd consider the words "announcing blog." to be words 2-3, as word 1 would be "Nuonsoft:"

Yes, sorry, as a developer I always start counting from 0 ;)

Angelical_1 wrote:The idea, in relation to the BBC Weather RSS feed is that currently the string says (hehe, wait for it..)

The forecast for Wakefield (WF1), United Kingdom on Thursday: cloudy. Max Temp: 18°C (64°F), Min Temp: 12°C (53°F), Wind Direction: W, Wind Speed: 12mph, Visibility: poor, Pressure: 1013mb, Humidity: 64%, UV risk: low, Pollution: low, Sunrise: 05:00BST, Sunset: 21:02BST

So, if I wanted (not that I do, it's just an example, heh) just the words Wakefield (WF1), and the wind speed of 12mph

I could write the code as..

The Wind Speed in %feeditem:1;0;Link;4-5% is currently %feeditem:1;0;Link;24%.

which would display as..

The Wind Speed in Wakefield (WF1), is currently 12mph.

To complicate (well, enhance) at a later date (should you wish) a means to remove characters from the beginning or end of words would be useful. As you can see in the BBC Weather RSS feed there are lots of , and : characters. In the example the code %feeditem:1;0;Link;4-5% would return Wakefield (WF1), which is ok, but really, I don't need the last character of ",". So, maybe the code could be %feeditem:1;0;Link;4-5(1)% where (1) indicates 1 less character from the right.. therefore it'd return Wakefield (WF1)... and likewise, %feeditem:1;0;Link;(1)4-5% would return akefield (WF1),.

The only other useful code that could be added would be to Uppercase or Lowercase the first character or a word using, say U for upper and L for lower. Doing so one could correct the word "poor." which is word 26 with the code %feeditem:1;0;Link;(U)26(1)%. This would Uppercase the word and remove the last character to display the word "Poor".

A more complex example of the same word 26 would be %feeditem:1;0;Link;(U2)26(1)% which would remove the first 2 character of "poor." leaving "or.", then Uppercasing the first character leaving "Or.", then removing the last character leaving "Or".

Ok, now it's clear, and might indeed be useful in some cases. I've put it on the todo for some future version.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports