Categories and folders

Post your problems, feedback or anything else about Wallpaper Cycler that doesn't fit in one of the other forums.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Categories and folders

Postby AgiZ » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Hello,

First of all i love this program, and use it for quite some years already. But one thing has been bugging me from day one so i finally registered and am asking about it now.
I have many folders that i would like to add into different categories. I do add a start folder for each category. The contents of the folders themselves change over time, which i can "refresh" by finding non-existing pictures (right click on category, find, find non existing wallpapers) and synchronising folders (right click, wallpaper category, wallpaper categories, synchronise al categories).
The problem arises because the categories themselves retain folder structure as on the hard drive. Therefore when wallpapers cycle they dont evenly cycle, but rather cycle the numerous subfolders in one category. What i would see as a solution would be something like all of the above, but so all the wallpapers would be located in one category, not in the directory structure.

How can i achieve that?
AgiZ

Re: Categories and folders

Postby Marc G » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:32 pm

When you add a folder recursively, you can uncheck a checkbox saying the you don't want to keep the folder structure.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby AgiZ » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm

But if i do that, synchronization of folders doesn't work correctly anymore.
What i mean is if I synchronize folders (Wallpapers->Wallpaper Categories->Synchronize All Folders...) to update wallpaper list it Ignores my initial setting for ignoring folder structure, but rather it recreates the folder structure. So i end up with duplicated images (once in initial folder, and once in folder structure under the initial folder).
Furthermore if i sync folders, the initial category (folder with all the pictures of sub-folders in it) never gets updated even when syncing of folders is selected) but only in the folder structure that is actually duplicate images of the initially generated category.

I hope I didn't over-complicate my explanation heh.
Thx for helping me out :)
AgiZ

Postby Marc G » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 pm

No, you didn't overcomplicate, I understand what you want.
Unfortunately, there is no work around at the moment.

A new version of Wallpaper Cycler is in the pipeline, however, it will be started from scratch and will be targetted at being much more user friendly. Obviously, some functionality will not be included immediately, but it will be a user friendly wallpaper manager.
I will most likely throw out the layout system and widgets like calendar, rss feeds, because these days you can have interactive widgets on your desktop in Windows Vista or Windows 7, so I don't see any added value anymore in having widgets in Wallpaper Cycler.
Of course, it will still be possible to tell the new wallpaper cycler to show a different wallpaper on each monitor.
My target is to make it so that a new/novice user can get cycling in 1 minute.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - General