autoquit? i don't want no autoquit!

Here you can report bugs you may find in Wallpaper Cycler.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

autoquit? i don't want no autoquit!

Postby Balodran » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:59 pm

whenever i leave my computer on and go do stuff, like sleep, wallpaper cycler kinda dies and disappears from my system tray. so then i gotta start it back up again. i dunno why its doing that. anyone else having that problem?
Balodran

Postby Marc G » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:11 am

hmm, this is weird.
Some questions to try to pin down the problem.
  • What operating system are you using?
  • Which version of Wallpaper Cycler are you using?
  • Does Wallpaper Cycler displays a crash-report-dialog? If so, can you send us the crash-report?
  • If you are using Windows XP, it might be that Windows is autohiding system tray icons. To check this: right click the taskbar and click properties, disable the "Hide inactive icons" check.
  • Has Wallpaper Cycler really crashed? It might be Windows Explorer that has crashed, and the Wallpaper Cycler icon does not reappear. You can check if Wallpaper Cycler has really crashed with the task-manager:
    • if you have Windows NT or later: right click taskbar and click "task manager
    • If you have Windows 9x: press ctrl+alt+delete (1 time) and check if wallpaper cycler is still in the process list.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:28 am

hey, i got a response. i'm running windows 2000 professional. i don't think it has a auto hide features, so yeah. basically overnight i'll usually come back to my comp in the morning and the little system tray icon is still there. i'll hover over it and it'll disappear. its like not running as a process on my comp anymore. i have it set to switch in a 24-hour cycle and i don't think thats supposed to quit after it changes. yah. and its version 2.0.1. maybe i should check for a new one.

Postby Marc G » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:12 am

Thank you for the additional information.
You are correct that Windows 2000 has no auto-hide feature. So this has to be a bug in Wallpaper Cycler.
We will look into it and fix it.
If you want to get notified, you can always register your copy of Wallpaper Cycler. When you do you'll be added to a mailinglist where we post our new releases. If you've already registered your copy of Wallpaper Cycler during the last couple of days and didn't received a confirmation email yet, please be patient. We are currently having some server errors and are unable to add new members to the mailinglist. The problems should be solved on monday.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Some more questions...

Postby Marc G » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:40 pm

We can't seem to find the problem.
You said you use a 24-hour cycle, do you mean you've set the "Cycle with the following delay between wallpapers" to 86400(=24hour) or do you mean you've added a "cycle-at" -time of "23:59:59"?

Could you please check if Wallpaper Cycler has created a crash-dump. These crash dumps should be located in "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp" and should be called "wallpapercycler.dmp". If you do not find such a file in the above folder, could you please do a search on your harddisks for this file and if found please send it to us (if there's also a wallpapercycler.xml file, send it too.)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:55 pm

cycle time is just set to 5am in the morning so 5:00:00. i couldn't find any of the files you specified. i wonder whats wrong with my computer.

Postby Marc G » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:18 am

We tried to replicate the problem over here but without success. We have run Wallpaper cycler with "cycle"-at time of 5:00:00 in the morning and it didn't crash :( The system was configured with Windows XP though.

Are you familiar with the Windows registry? Have you already worked with the registry? Please let us know.

Have you already tried version 2.0.2 of Wallpaper Cycler?
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

I have the same problem sometimes

Postby Deerain » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:49 am

I think I get that sometimes too but its still running in the background but the icon in the tray dissapears so you cant "show window" any more and have to run the program again to get it up but as soon as you minamize it dosent put a icon in the tray again. I have XP, 3200+ amd, 1gb mem.
Deerain

Re: I have the same problem sometimes

Postby Marc G » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Deerain wrote:I think I get that sometimes too but its still running in the background but the icon in the tray dissapears so you cant "show window" any more and have to run the program again to get it up but as soon as you minamize it dosent put a icon in the tray again. I have XP, 3200+ amd, 1gb mem.

Are you running Wallpaper Cycler 3.x?
I have also noticed this behaviour on some machines (not all) and I'm starting to think that it is a Windows bug, because it sometimes happens to system tray icons of other programs to.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Postby theUKdude » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 pm

One way to get around this (although it's not a fix) is to assign a shortcut key to 'show window', then you can get to the program's interface with just a keypress if the tray icon has disappeared.

hth
theUKdude

Postby Marc G » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks for the 'workaround'. :)
If I can't fix the bug (might be Windows related), maybe I will add a hotkey to refresh the icon in the tray.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Return to WPC - Bug Reports