Calendar Sync :-)

Post your suggestions, wanted features,... for Wallpaper Cycler here.

Moderators: Marc G, Johan G

Calendar Sync :-)

Postby maxq » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:44 pm

It would be nice if Wallpaper Cycle Calendar could import csv or txt files that were generated from programs like Outlook, Outlook Express, Yahoo Calendar, and MSN calendar...

In conjunction, perhaps have a macro system, such as
new macro:
import text file:
map fields:
update calendar:
Then you can have the macro run on wallpaper refresh, or bootup, or other specified intervals.

I was considering building a plugin that would handle this (semi manually), but it looks like the calendar information/notes are currently stored inthe wcl file, so it didn't seem like it was exposed to external development in that sense.

If the calendar info were stored in a separate file, such as a txt, csv, or xml file, then anyone with the time and interest could build a little program grabbing their exported calendar items from online, do their own map, and using (script, FSO, etc.) update the calendar file.

Just a thought for extensibility.
If that is already there somehow and I missed it, just point me in the right direction ;-)
- M
maxq

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:58 am

That's indeed a nice suggestion. Currently it's not possible, because it's not open.
I think about opening this up for the future. And maybe allow external programs to be run when wallpaper cycler is going to cycle so your external program can update the calendar for example.
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

Not sugesting it be open... (necessarily)...

Postby maxq » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:29 pm

but if the calendar simply read a different (external) file of some standard format (xml being the most obvious), then others can build their own tools if they wanted to.
WPC, on refresh, instead of simply reading the wcl file for layout and things, also reads the xml for caalendar notes.
If someone has built another tool, the other tool is responsible for updating the xml file to update calendar items.
Anyway, that's all. Just a wish list item. If it can't realistically be done, that's life :-)
maxq

Postby Marc G » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:13 pm

Yes, that's what I meant with "open". Using a separate XML file for the calendar information.
I can also re-try to store the entire .WCL in an XML format, but I once played with it and if I remember correctly that was just way too slow because you don't have to forget that some users are using Wallpaper Cycler to cycle more than 20 thousand (not a typo!) wallpapers ;)
Marc Gregoire,
NuonSoft
[ Microsoft MVP VC++ since 2007 ]
Marc G
NuonSoft Staff

all I can say is...

Postby maxq » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:03 pm

HOLY COW!!!!!
maxq

Return to WPC - Wishlist